0279 Gold on Blue in Philadelphia
Robert C. Smith and the Installation of the 'Portuguese Chapel' at the Samuel S. Fleisher Art Memorial
Authors
-
Sílvia Ferreira
Instituto de História da Arte, FCSH-Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon
PhD in History (Art, Heritage and Restoration) from the University of Lisbon (2009) with a thesis on Portuguese baroque woodcarving: A talha barroca de Lisboa (1670–1720). Os artistas e as obras. Following a postdoctoral fellowship funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (SFRH/BPD/101835/2014), she is currently a staff researcher at the Instituto de História da Arte, FCSH-Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Norma Transitória, DL 57/2016 – Lei 57/2017), where she is conducting the research project "O legado de Robert Chester Smith: novas perspetivas para a História da Arte em Portugal". Silvía Ferreira has written extensively on the subject of Portuguese baroque and rococo decorative arts, their history and conservation.
In 1957, American art historian Robert C. Smith was asked by Julius Zieget, Secretary and Treasurer of the Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA), to travel to Lisbon to purchase gilded woodcarved objects, sculptures and azulejos (hand painted tiles) to create a 'Portuguese chapel' within the Samuel S. Fleisher Art Memorial, established in the deconsecrated Church of the Evangelists in Philadelphia. This was the first time that Portuguese art pieces would leave Portugal with the specific aim of musealizing a chapel in a public space. Smith’s valuable contacts in Lisbon, namely with João Couto, then director of the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga (MNAA), led him to the antique dealers and private collectors that would eventually supply the objects he sought.
This essay explores and reflects upon the cultural and historical context surrounding the project, and looks into the commissioning, acquisition and installation of the chapel, a process that lasted from 1957 to 1960 (the chapel was inaugurated in 1961 by Luís Esteves Fernandes, then Portuguese ambassador to the US). Working from unpublished documents, namely Smith’s correspondence, the article also traces the fortune of the pieces purchased by Smith from the moment they were placed in the Fleisher Foundation chapel to the present.
Copyright (c) 2022 Sílvia Ferreira

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2022 Sílvia Ferreira

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.


